Dark Pantheons Again Will Reign

We keep getting storm warnings that don't actually turn into storms so I didn't bother to bring an umbrella when we took a long walk yesterday. Well, joke's on me... we got fucking soaked.

-

Crush Efekt - I had been looking for this album for so fucking long that I was legitimately starting to think that I had imagined it. Turns out I was just misspelling the band name, or really, they were. Super tough DM tinged hardcore from Ohio. Sorta reminds me of 25 ta Life or Cold as Life, but with death metal vocals and drums. Sounds weird as shit on paper but the track "Backstabber" has been stuck in my head for like 24 years.

-

Deadindustry - More super tough metal/ hardcore circa 1997 with kind of a Pantera meets Nu-Metal tinge. I think this band was from Texas and might have had a member that went on to play in Devourment? But apart from that, I honestly don't remember much else about them... Just that this is another album I've been trying to score a physical copy of for like 20+ years.

-

Algiel - Brutal DM with orchestral parts? Terrible combo on paper but I've always kind of liked this album. Like I said yesterday: I used to be super allergic to synths and orchestral stuff in metal, but now I don't fucking care. If the rest of the music is cool I can usually roll with it.

-

Rotting Christ - I love Rotting Christ, even the albums I'm pretty sure aren't actually good.

-

The Dying Light - Members of Cattlepress, Dim Mak, Iabhorher, and Ripping Corpse. Sounds like the album Cattlepress would have recorded after listening to a fuckton of Morbid Angel. First track on this thing is absolute solid fucking gold.

-

Tribulation - Gothy melodic death. I never paid much attention to this band, but their newest album caught me in the right mood so I've been digging through their back catalogue lately.

-

Aeon - Super solid DM from Sweden. They don't seem to be as widely appreciated as maybe they should be, but I've really dug Aeon since Bleeding the False. This album rules too.

-

Behemoth - I probably don't need to take time out of my busy day or yours to sit down and describe Behemoth to you. Suffice it to say I like them... Some albums I like more than others, but in general I like them.

-

Dimmu Borgir - Gotta be honest here: Getting old, mellowing the fuck out, and learning to listen to things without being personally offended that they're not my new favorite thing in the entire world was an important life lesson for me.

Turns out that most things are actually pretty entertaining if you just zone out and let them do whatever thing they set out to do. And you spend way less time disappointed and fucked off when you don't compare every single note of music you hear to some other thing you like better.

End of the day: Do I like Dimmu Borgir? Yes I do. Do I like them more than something like, say, Cattlepress? No I don't. Would I still rather listen to them than something like Garth Brooks or whatever the fuck they play in the grocery store? Sure as shit I would.

Turns out not being a stuck-up asshole is kind of relaxing, You should try it sometime.

-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

High Waters

The Unspoiled

Faultline