Survive Sunrise

I'm mostly nocturnal at this point in my life, but here are still days I find myself obligated to deal with sunshine/ heat/ light/ humanity, so I figured why not make the best of it by cranking some big sweaty psych/ rawk jamz? Made the two mile walk to Shop Rite/ Home Depot through 90 degree heat / 90 percent humidity almost tolerable.

Other than that, just hanging out, working on music, putting a lot of thought into "what kind of music would I be making if the world was ending and I really wanted to speak my soul before it all hits the fucking wall?"

Because, y'know, take a fucking look around out there... End of the world doesn't feel too far off.

Oh yeah, almost got in a fight with some anti-mask weirdo 'cos I was wearing a mask in the grocery store, but he backed off when he realized I was actually pretty enthusiastic about the prospect of beating him to a bloody pulp in the produce aisle.

So it goes.

-

Ghost - They're not my favorite band in the whole world, but straight up: I like Ghost. They're catchy, theatrical, and fun... kinda like the "nowadays" version of Alice Cooper, 90s era Danzig, Impaler, W.A.S.P., and Death SS. And I'm into all those things sooo....

-

Bloodhorse - These guys were local to Boston during the last year or so we were there. Saw them with Torche right before we moved and thought they were pretty good. Sorta doom/ sludge/ post-metal with 70's/ 80's hard rock elements.

-

Black Pyramid - Another Boston band doing the doomy hard-rockin' thing. Remind me of a hairy, beer soaked, denim clad gene-splice of English Dogs, Cirith Ungol, and Reverend Bizarre. Unfortunately never got to see them live before we split town.

-

Ecstatic Vision - It's funny, I'm pretty boring and straightedge, but I fucking love spaced out head-trip hippie drug music and that's what's happening here. Monster Magnet/ Hawkwind/ Stooges vibes.

-

Monster Magnet - Listening to Ecstatic Vision while I was out buying filters for our AC unit reminded me that I hadn't listened to Monster Magnet in absolute ages... Looking back, I feel like "Elephant Bell" was probably an early tune where teenage me realized I really dug tribal drumming without knowing what it was called yet. Big fan of everything they did up through Dopes to Infinity.

-

The Primals - Heavy guitars + bratty 90's alterna-rock vibes. Think: Gumball/ GVSB/ Jawbox/ Velocity Girl... From dudes who used to be in Darkest Hour? The WTF is strong with this one but it's honestly catchy as hell. Also reminds me of that Rise Above Records band Winters if anyone remembers them.

-

Sun Dial - Wasn't the Guitarist of this band in C93 for a minute? I can't recall and I'm too lazy to google it, but whatever the case: "Exploding in Your Mind" is one of my favorite psych-rock tunes of all time and tends to wind up in rotation any time I get in the mood for this kind of thing. That opening riff man... Absolute Perfection.

-

Satan's Satyrs - If the satanic biker drug-cult from Psychomania started a band they would hopefully have the good taste to sound like Satan's Satyrs.

-

ASG - Words like Soaring and Anthemic come to mind, but they sound like marketing words so fuck it... End of the day: I like these guys, especially this song. Makes me wanna get a skateboard and take a looooong ride by the ocean somewhere... Which I actually might just do one of these days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

High Waters

The Unspoiled

Faultline