Backslider

Took yesterday off because I'm on vacation. Keeping this preamble short because like I said: I'm on vacation. If you need anything else: Please refer to my previous statements about being on vacation.

-

Acephalix - Saw these guys a bunch of times when we lived in the Bay Area and I dig pretty much everything they've done, but man Aporia is the one I always come back to. Especially that last track. Crusty and fucking Massive.

-

Pink Mass - Necrosexual New Jerzy skuzzkult. About as pleasant as hatefucking a ruptured abscess.

-

Autopsy - I slept on the more recent Autopsy albums for a looooong time. Knew they existed. Knew they were probably good. Just never quite got around to actually listening to them. Finally picked up the three most recent full-lengths and I've been listening over the past couple days. They all do pretty much what you'd want/ expect an Autopsy album to do and I'm a dope for not checking them out sooner.

-

Mayhem - Real talk: I don't give a fuck about Mayhem before Ordo ad Chao, but from that point on I think they're pretty decent. Particularly dig when they drop the tempo and get all dissonant and weird. 

And yeah, I'm sure they're probably as shitty and "problematic" as everyone else who plays black metal so proceed with whatever caution you deem most appropriate (Me, I mostly listen on Spotify so in another decade and a half they'll probably have made enough off my financial "support" to buy like a single strand of spaghetti).

-

Mighty Sphincter - How the hell do you even describe Mighty Sphincter? I legitimately have no idea, but they're one of my favorite bands of all time. Closest comparison might be Rudimentary Peni crossed with the first Christian Death LP if it was recorded while the musicians were in the grips of a datura-fueled death-tripping freakout.

-

Drug Honkey - Terrifying mechanized dub sludge. Essentially the sound of an earthquake with teeth.

-

Godflesh - Monstrous industrial sludge. Godflesh weren't the band that originally inspired me to make music, but they were the band that inspired me to keep going when 9/10 of my friends aged out, stopped making music, and a drum machine became the most realistic way to keep on keeping on. First album, Streetcleaner, and Pure remain three of my all time favorites.

-

Mountain Grave - Super energetic melodic/ tech-y death metal that kinda reminds me of Nocturnus on a shitload of caffeine.

-

Toadies - The band I played in back in high school used to do a fucked up sludge/ grind cover of Backslider live sometimes so I've always had a soft spot for this album. 

-


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

High Waters

The Unspoiled

Faultline