Black Hole Kaleidoscope

First day of vacation. Took three long walks over the weekend so we're hanging in today. Gonna watch a couple movies and hang out with DD. Actually, now that I've mentioned it: Posting might drop off a bit over this week 'cos we haven't had a week off together in over a year.

-

Ka - Probably my favorite current era rapper. Has a real unique vibe, real humid and gloomy sounding. Don't consider myself any kind of expert on the style, but I like what I like.

-

Cambatta - Another recent favorite. Hip Hop/ Rap with a dark "psychedelic" edge. Guess this is the mood I'm in today...

-

Clipping - I got into Clipping right around the time they released that one song where they sampled Deathpile and a bunch of noise people I talked to via email got kinda mad about it.

As far as I'm concerned everything they've done has been fucking brilliant. Totally want them to sample one of our old tracks...

-

Apophis - Egyptian/ occult tinged DM from Germany... I remember thinking they were kind of Nile ripoffs when I was younger only to realize years later that this album came out well before Nile released their first demo. This later Apophis album is pretty cool as well.

-

Afterbirth - Chunky, brutal, and hyper-goddamn-technical DM from New York. Crazy that these guys are still around and pushing the envelope 27 years after their first demo.

-

Mithras - More batshit tech dissonance, this time from a UK band that sounds pretty different from anyone else doing this kind of thing... And honestly, pretty different from anyone who has done anything. Ever.

-

Katalepsy - Russian brutal death metal masters.

-

SNFU - Canadian punk. First three albums are amazing, first one is right up there with The Freeze's Rabid reaction and Bad Religion's "Suffer" for me.

-

GZA - Liquid Swords wasn't the first hip hop album I ever heard but it was probably the first one that ever really clicked for me.

-

Cypress Hill - I've never been all that into their other stuff but Cypress Hill's "III:Temples of Boom" has a real dark, dangerous, vibe that I've always enjoyed.

-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

High Waters

The Unspoiled

Faultline