When Rotten Ideas Break Free

Hey here's an idea:

Gonna try to sit down and write a few quick words about whatever I listen to on any given day. No plan, no pressure, just really loose and informal...

Bad Words!

Sentence fragments!

Terrible taste in almost everything!

Probably a fair amount of bargain bin Goregrind and Nu-Metal!

Actually having fun for a fucking change!

See if I can untie some of the stupid knots in my brain and get back to the way things were before I ruined my webzine by trying to make it more professional.

Now, are these reviews? Man, I dunno... Not really. I don't feel qualified (or even particularly inclined) to "review" anything anymore. These are mostly just vague thoughts and impressions from a dude who spends 99% of his life listening to music.

-

Charger - Hadn't heard this album in almost 20 years but then it popped into my brain the other day and I decided to track it down. Still sounds gnarly as hell. Sorta like Iron Monkey with some of the Black Sabbath swapped out for Unsane.

-

Forced to Decay - Ran across Forced to Decay on an old Pavement Music sampler and found myself intrigued because they're like pretty much nothing else the label ever released. Desperate and emotionally frayed metallic hardcore from Germany along the lines of Acme, Systral, Carol, etc. I think one of their later albums was even on Per Koro which makes a heck of a lot more sense for this type of thing than Pavement Music.

-

Transport League - Oh man, I vaguely remember buying this CD when I was in high school and absolutely fucking hating it but now... Eh, it's honestly pretty decent. Reminds me of Entombed's mid period "Death 'n' Roll" stuff with even more emphasis on the 'n' Roll. I definitely get why teenage me wasn't into this, but at this point in my life I would lift weights to it and have a fine old time.

-

Disembowelment - Maybe my all time favorite doom band? Tough call, but either way: I had to go to the grocery store earlier today and blasting "Transcendence Into the Periphery" on my headphones made the two mile walk through a heat index of 125°F with 60 pounds of produce in my backpack almost bearable.

-

Blood - Old favorite of mine going back to probably 9th or 10th grade (that's mid 90's to you). Brutal, ugly, dare I say "old-school" deathgrind.

-

Shadowhuntaz - Dark glitchy weirdo rap, somewhere in the general ballpark of Anti-pop Consortium. Rhythms sound like a laptop having a seizure.

-

Babylon Whores - Mid 90's goth metal from Finland.  I honestly have a lot more patience for goth metal than I ever I did back in the day, but these guys... uh, still pretty hit or miss for me. 

I do have kind of a soft spot for this first album because it sounds like the bastard child of Glenn Danzig and Billy Idol, but man the vocals are just awful.

-

Agents of Satan - Fucking nasty bass and drums Powerviolence/ Grind/ Sludge from the bay area. Think: Godstomper vs. MITB with both bands whacked out on real bad PCP.

-

One Man Army And the Undead Quartet - Today was Friday the 13th and I hadn't listened to this in ages so why the hell not? Swedish DM cover of the Alice Cooper classic.

-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

High Waters

The Unspoiled

Faultline