Rats Among Us

Wellp.

Vacation is over and we're back to the grind.

Upside is that we had a real nice break and unexpectedly wound up jamming out a bunch of new tracks... Downside is that we now have slightly fewer hours per day to finish hammering them into shape.

So it goes.
-

Dhwesha - Gnarly DM from India with a real dark/ eerie vibe. Had never heard of Dhwesha before this track popped up on autoplay after something else I was listening to, but I wound up really digging them. So much so that I listened to the whole album twice then picked up a copy of the CD.
-

Necrot - I know these guys are a big deal, but for whatever reason I never picked up any of their albums until just the other day. Grabbed all three last time we hiked out to Vinyl Altar and they definitely live up to the hype. Mid-tempo to fast, dissonant but not incoherent, riffy as hell, great vox... I'm into it.
-

Krosis - "New School" DM seems like it has fallen out of favor super fucking hard over the past bunch of years, but whatever, I still dig it...  Especially when someone manages to blenderize tech death, brutal DM groove, and melodic fretboard fireworks in an interesting and enjoyable way, as Krosis do here.
-

Sempiternal Dusk - Saw these guys by accident one time when we lived up in PDX and thought they absolutely ruled. Super dark DM bordering on black metal and doom in places. Sounds like being lost in the woods with something huge and hungry on your trail.
-

The Prodigy - I'm a 90s kid and I needed something vaguely "uplifting" to power me through my trip to the grocery store just now so the logical choice was The Prodigy... Threw Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned on my headphones for the first time in ages. That album is fucking great, especially Spitfire which is stuck in my head pretty much permanently.
-

Gravesend - Wasteland war-metal warriors from some post-apocalyptic Violence Jack version of NYC. I'll keep this little blurb like the album itself: Blunt, to the point, and over in a flash. 
-

Matsunaga Was Right - Demented grindcore with lyrics about pro wrestling. I live a real quick walk from the 2300 arena so that one song title cracked me the fuck up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

High Waters

The Unspoiled

Faultline