The Unspoiled

Uuuugh. Woke up to our apartment building having an unannounced 8am smoke alarm test and luckily the alarm is brutally loud and right in our bedroom…. Talk about a rude awakening. I feel like my teeth are still rattling.

Other than that? Uh, not much to report. Took yesterday off because I felt whacked out and fidgety… Guessing it was a symptom of either anxiety or too much coffee/ not enough sleep, but really, who the hell knows what is going on with my body and brain anymore?

-

Wargasm - Well, if it’s gonna be a rude awakening anyway might as well make the best of it with one of my favorite thrash tunes of all time. These guys were local to where I grew up in MA and should have been a much bigger deal than they actually were. Both of their albums absolutely rule but Ugly might be my favorite of the two, mostly because of this tune and Dreadnaught Day.

-

Danzig - Do I really need to explain Danzig to anyone? His first solo album is probably my pound for pound favorite, but for whatever reason II is the one I always find myself in the mood to listen to. Long Way Back From Hell, Killer Wolf, Tired of Being Alive, Her Black Wings… Some hits there for sure. If only he had aged gracefully.

-

Bad Brains - It’s not a terribly popular opinion but I humbly suggest that Bad Brains “past their prime” albums are still better than a lot of bands best output. I’m especially fond of Quickness because it always reminded teenage me of a slightly less “metal” Sam Black Church.

-

Darkane - The only real problem with Rusted Angel is that it showed up at a time in my life when I would have rather listened to pretty much anything but another In Flames/ At The Gates clone. Turns out that 22 years of hindsight has been pretty kind to this one… Great guitar tone and SUPER energetic.

-

In Flames - When I was younger I hated anything after Whoracle, but now it’s the later albums that I always find myself coming back to… Cheezy. Catchy. Awesome. Especially when they decide to cover Depeche Mode.

-

Esben and the Witch - YMMV but In a lot of ways Esben and The Witch are what I wish I was doing musically. Dark, heavy, female vox, lots of tribal drumming, but really aching and pretty at the same time.

-

Tangerine Dream - Probably my favorite album by one of my all time favorite bands. Always makes me think of watching a storm roll in over the ocean.

-



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

High Waters

Faultline